Bipartisan Legislation Holds Chinese Solar Companies Accountable for Violating U.S. Trade Laws
Members of Congress Introduce Congressional Review Act to Rescind Loophole Regulation
<! -------------- Links -------------------->
<! -------------- Links End -------------------->
January 26, 2023 -
Today, U.S. Representative Bill Posey (R-FL) along with U.S Representative Dan Kildee (D-MI) and 4 other colleagues introduced their bipartisan legislation to hold the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) accountable and support American manufacturers and workers.
“The Communist Party of China should not be allowed to circumvent our trade laws and undercut American manufacturing,” said Congressman Bill Posey. “Our federal government should be getting behind American businesses and leading the effort to boost our competitiveness around the world, especially when it comes to our nation’s energy independence. I want to thank my colleagues for joining together in a bipartisan effort to support American manufacturing jobs.”
“We cannot allow foreign solar manufacturers to violate trade law, especially when it comes at the expense of American workers and businesses. The Biden administration found in its own investigation that China is evading U.S. tariffs on solar imports, but has paused action on this matter, which is unacceptable. This bipartisan legislation, supported by Democrats and Republicans, will repeal this misguided rule to enforce U.S. trade law as Congress intended and help America’s domestic solar manufacturing industry grow to meet our nation’s energy needs,” said Congressman Dan Kildee.
Specifically, this legislation would rescind a recent Commerce Department rule, which their own preliminary investigation has found allowed CCP-owned and other foreign solar manufacturers to circumvent U.S. trade tariffs by delivering their products to the U.S. through third-party counties, all to the detriment of American companies and workers.
Posey and Kildee are utilizing the Congressional Review Act (CRA), a unique legislative tool which allows Congress the ability to review and rescind major regulations created by federal agencies within a limited window of time.
“This bipartisan legislation is an important win for the rule of law, American manufacturers, and the tens of thousands of workers that they employ,” said Michael Stumo, CEO of the Coalition for a Prosperous America. “On behalf of CPA and our members, we applaud Congressman Posey and Congressman Kildee for leading this important effort. It is unconscionable that President Biden undermined the independent, judicial investigation by Commerce, which has already found preliminarily that the Chinese are illegally circumventing AD/CVD duties.
Posey and Kildee were also joined by Congressmen Bill Pascrell (D-NJ), Garret Graves (R-LA), Terri Sewell (D-AL) and Bob Latta (R-OH) in introducing this legislation.
Congressman Posey has been a leader on confronting China in Congress, and his work on this bipartisan legislation is the latest of many actions taken to protect America from the far-reaching influence of the CCP.
- Ending Tainted Chinese Pharmaceuticals: Introduced bipartisan Safe Medicine Act to end our reliance on China for lifesaving drugs and protect American patients from contaminated or ineffective pharmaceuticals.
- Getting Answers to COVID-19 Pandemic: Introduced the Prepare Act to get to the bottom of the origins of the pandemic and hold China accountable.
- Promoting CCP Transparency: Passed Amendment to make sure China plays by the rules and is transparent in international standards setting bodies.
- Defunding Chinese Research: Introduce legislation to ban American research dollars from the National Science Foundation from benefiting China's state-owned enterprises like the Wuhan Institute of Virology in China.
- Putting American Students First: Passed amendment to ensure public post-graduate STEM research grants are awarded only to American students and institutions.
- Bringing Jobs Back Home: Introduced legislation to provide tax credits to U.S. companies that bring manufacturing jobs back on our shores.
- Resisting Chinese Technology: Blocking Chinese technology from being integrated into our energy and telecommunications grids